Monday, September 24, 2007

I Give Up!

Recently I attended an event where people were eating and chatting. It was a casual affair.

The gentleman I was sitting next to continually consulted his cell phone, text-messaged someone, and generally kept his eyes glued to this electronic UNINVITED guest.

Usually, as a dinner companion, I would have tried to draw him out, asked questions and tried to show interest in him. At one point I did say, "Wow! That must be important." His comment was, "No, it's just my daughter, playing around, text-messaging me."

So, I gave up. I figured that he was certainly not on the same page or really even mentally at the same event. Why should I make a special effort when he wasn't making any?

TURN OFF THE DAMN PHONES. (And I know I'm going to get someone saying, but he was talking to his little daughter. Well, his little daughter is in high school.)

Am I being too hard?


No comments:

Post a Comment