Saturday, October 13, 2007

Helpful Questions

I've written in the past how at our Certified Networker events we've incorporated having a question that everyone answers as part of introducing themselves. We can't take credit for this idea, as it originated from author Scott Ginsberg. In his, Power of Approachability, in Appendix A, he lists 55 questions to start a conversation. They are NOT your ordinary questions!

What we've found at our events, is that the question gives the event a jump start. People start feeling more comfortable, especially when another person's answer is similar to their own reply. They now have a CPI as Scott puts it or common point of interest. Plus, it is a heck of a lot of fun.

So the other day I was paging through a Woman's Day magazine. No, I was not in a doctor's office. I must admit that I read every issue of that magazine and have ever since I was a very young housewife. On page 7 of the November 1 issue, all the editors are listed. You know, it's the same in most periodicals. And that's the page that I usually don't spent much time on. But Women's Day has figured out that they also need to connect in different ways with the readers. They now have a question of the month that they pose to their editors. Four or five of their answers are called out on the page with a dotted line to the appropriate name. This month's question is "If you could have a super power, what would it be and why?" One answer that really caught my attention was, "The power to zap myself from point A to point B instantly. I spend way to much time on the subway!"

Will I ever meet this editor, Sarina Green? Probably not, but I feel like I already have. We have a same want in common. I also want to experience time travel.

But that's not the point I'm trying to make here. What really fascinated me, was that a huge corporation with deep pockets for advertising, knows that there is importance in relationship marketing, too. You can bet that I'm going to see if Sarina's answer is highlighted next month. Another reason for me to pick up the magazine on the way through the grocery line.

Kudos to Woman's Day.

What would your answer be to the super power question? Would it mainly benefit you or others?

No comments:

Post a Comment