Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Speakease

Yesterday, I gave a very short talk about the new book, Masters of Networking, to the lunch time Women's Entrepreneurial Network group. Because of the book just being published, I had been asked to give a five minute "business education" talk about it.

This book is chock full of short stories and articles by over eighty different authors.

The challenge was where to start and what could I say in five minutes that would even be memorable?

I choose to talk about just one story and I explained why the article had spoken to me.

After the event, as I was walking out, a person who had also been at the lunch complimented me on the talk wishing that she could be so relaxed in the way she presents.

I thought about it later.

All I did was share what was important to me at that moment. It was just like a conversation with one person. It was if that person had asked me, "What do you like about that book?"

For those who want to become better known by speaking before audiences, my recommendation (for all it's worth) is to ask yourself, "what would I say if I was just speaking to one of these people in the audience?"

What tricks do you have up your sleeve when you are thinking about perfecting your presentation?

No comments:

Post a Comment