Friday, December 29, 2006

Massage Time

Today I got my monthly massage -- not a bad way to end the week. I reflected on the fact that Karen Shulman has been my massage therapist for the past 12 or 13 years. When I moved to Toledo, from Detroit, I continued getting monthly massages with a new therapist. Unfortunately, she developed breast cancer and had to let her clients move to other therapists. At that point I happened to be serving on a board with Karen, and while we were not yet fast friends, I decided she was the one to get my business.

What I love about Karen is her mind. She is a "drop-out" from the corporate world, and has business sense about her. We spend the whole time chatting which is just as relaxing for me as the physical massage. She also has a great sense of humor and in fact has written a book about her mother, entitled "I Never Meant to be Funny." Some of the stories are just smile funny and others are uproarious gut-busters. She donates some of the proceeds to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation in honor of her mom's triumph over the disease. This book is not a story about cancer (well maybe one story hints at it), but a friend has taken her copy to her chemo treatments to read to everyone there to give them a laugh.

Do you know someone that needs a laugh? This book should get the corners of their mouth curving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment