Friday, August 29, 2008

Don't Ask, Do Tell

In the last several weeks I have been involved with "convincing" people to take on volunteer positions.

This week I had a conversation with someone else who is in the same mode. She is frustrated. I am not.

We talked about it.

She was making no headway. Everyone is saying no.

And that's where we differ.

I don't ask.

I recruit the perfect person for the position. I also let the individual know what qualities and talents they have that will allow her to do a superb job. Additionally, each position has the potential for career development and I go over that with her. At the completion of my conversation it is very likely that the person accepts. Happily.

My friend and I are trying to accomplish the same thing, but going about it in two different ways.

She asks -- I recruit.

I don't know about you, but I like to be successful and I also like to help others grow and develop. It's a win for everyone involved.

If you could recruit a famous person for a position in an organization with which you are involved, who would it be and what attributes would you tell them they have that would make them successful?

No comments:

Post a Comment