Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Fake Out

Why do you do what you do?

Last week in a preview for our upcoming fall courses, one young women came up to me at the end of the two hours extending her card. Now I have to tell you that she happens to represent a cosmetics company that is offered via direct sales. There are many Arbonne representatives out there. They seem to blend together. I'm sorry, but that's the truth.

As the business card was entering my personal space, I was doing the little mind-dance where my brain was saying, "O-o-o-oh, here comes another one," whereas on the outside I was trying to appear gracious.

This is where it all changed. The card was not for Arbonne, but for a foundation -- the Janet Phleger Foundation, to be exact. And the young women said, "This is why I do what I do for Arbonne, so that I can grow this charity."

This foundation was formed in memory of the young woman's mother. And the goal of the foundation is to give scholarships to children of cancer patients. Already this year they gave the first two away.

Now I tell ya'. My eyes were opened. I didn't have to fake graciousness. This young woman has it figured out. She knows why she does what she does.

And you?

No comments:

Post a Comment