Saturday, January 13, 2007

One to One, Part I

The Certified Networker community in NW Ohio is having a networking contest during International Networking Week. The contest is not limited to those people in this area, but the winner will receive an article written about them in the local newspaper, the Toledo Free Press. People can register to participate on Feb 5, 6 and 7. The contest will measure the number of one to one meetings that people have during that three day period.

That said, the question that arose recently was, "Are we going to allow staff member to staff member or family to family one to one conversations to count?" Of course was are! As long as these meet the criteria (see the rules at the website) why wouldn't we want to encourage continued development of relationships?

In fact, a prime example of this just happened yesterday. In a previous post I talked about asking my friend, Dave Achen, to introduce me when I speak at his Chamber lunch on Feb 6. He asked me to send the introduction now so he could review it . My introduction includes the fact that I have five grandchildren. Now Dave and I have known each other for several years, but his email back to me said, "I didn't know you had five grandchildren."

My point is that one to ones help you to get to know new people, but even better, they help you to get to know your friends and family even more.

What have you learned about a good friend recently, that surprised you?

No comments:

Post a Comment