Monday, January 29, 2007

PowerPoint: Inept People Use It

Now, I have to admit that I really don't know enough about USING PowerPoint to make an unbiased post here. But I have been a captive of PowerPoint presentations that are just god-awful. When I bought my new computer several years ago, I would not allow the software for PowerPoint to be installed, even though "it came with the package." It was a one woman crusade against evil software!

Scott Ginsberg
says it all so well, "PowerPoint sucks!" Now Seth Godin rings in with a similar message. Gosh, I sure hope there is a ground swell here for the need of jail terms for those who present BORING PowerPoint presentations.

It is my personal opinion that people who use PowerPoint, do so to have a fence between them and the scary audience members. The lights have to be darkened and eyes are on the screen, instead of the person giving the talk.

Relationship building is almost nil with an audience being lulled to sleep with PP. Again, I think it is those who are fearful of their presenting skills, or fearful that someone in the audience will ask a question...or (you fill in the blanks.)

What's wrong with just talking, telling stories, connecting with people?

Whew! I feel better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment