Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Are You a Pusher?

I think the weather had a bead on Certified Networker classes! Again today, we're having a winter storm, with already 8 inches of snow on the ground, more to come later with drifting and blowing to accompany it. But I am going to do all I can to get to Findlay to start another class of CNers! I'm sure glad I got new front tires over the weekend.

I have to comment on a networking situation yesterday. At the lunch time WEN meeting the format is that each person gets a chance to give a short introduction to the big group. Then, at each round table, we get two minutes to tell our other table mates more detailed information. WEN is an organization that is dedicated to the development of relationships.
Here's what happened at my table yesterday. Each person at the table would take her time to speak and during that time would send a pile of business cards, and sometimes extra literature too, around for each person to take.

Now, I'm sorry, but I didn't ask for those people's cards. For some of them, I already have their information. But I must admit that I felt funny not taking cards or info because it looked like I wasn't interested. (In some cases, I probably wasn't!) But to take a card and then just throw it away later, seemed wasteful. If, in fact, the two minute spiel interested me, I would have connected with the person later to schedule an appointment to find out more.

So here's my deal:
  • Don't give me your business card unless I ask for it.
  • I promise I won't give you mine, either, unless you request it.
  • Be interesting enough that I'll want more info.
  • Don't try to tell me everything in the two minutes.
  • Think from my shoes. WFIM.
What's your feeling on all this?

No comments:

Post a Comment